Kidkraft is one of the renowned producers of different playsets for kids- from swing sets to slide and playhouses. Their products come in different colors and materials to suit every need.
Kidkraft produces some of the most durable playsets, especially their swing set, which can last 15 to 20 years if well cared for. The secret to the longevity of any playset is how it is used and maintained. So to get the best from your Kidkraft, you must treat it well.
Read also: Kidkraft Swing Set Review and Buying Guide (KidKraft Appleton/Ainsley Swing Set)
The Different Types Of Swing Set And Their Useful Life
A swing set is the most common outdoor playset in most homes because it holds a lot of fun for kids who can spend hours upon hours swinging away in the sun and getting the much-needed sunlight and a little exercise on the way.
There are different types of swing sets, but based on the material used in making a swing set, they can be classified into:
Wooden swing set
Metal swing set
Vinyl swing set
Plastic swing sets
Wooden Swing set
Wood is one of the most common materials for making swing sets. They are beautiful, sturdy, and durable if properly taken care of. How long a wooden swing set lasts depends on the type of wood used and how it is maintained, but generally, most wooden swing sets, with proper care and maintenance, will last for about 20 years. Some sets can last even longer, especially if the climatic condition is favorable.
Here are some of the main types of wood used in making swing set
Cedar Swing Sets
One of the most common wood for making swing sets is cedar, and this is because it is a beautiful wood that is rot and insects resistant and is also reasonably priced relative to others. Your cedar swing set, with reasonable care, can last for 15 to 20 years, and one special care it requires is annually staining the set to keep it from warping and rotting.
Redwood Swing Sets
Redwood is another popular wood for making swings because, like cedar, it is rot-repellent and insect resistant. This wood has an alluring reddish-brown hue and is loved by many even though it is much more expensive than cedar. If you are lucky to get a swing set made of old-growth redwood, and with proper care, the swing set can last for more than 20 years.
Pressure Treated Pine
What you get from this make of swing set is a very durable unit that is moisture-repellent, insect resistant, and less prone to cupping and warping, all thanks to the pressure treatment of the wood. Pines can last for as many as 20 years. It is, however, not a wood of choice for many people because of its color, which is white.
Why People Love Wooden Swings
When you compare wooden swings with other makes of swings, they stand out because of the following:
1. They are aesthetically pleasing, given their beautiful natural look.
2. They are durable and have a long useful life.
3. Some resist insects and rot naturally, especially cedar and redwood.
The Not So Good Points About Wooden Swing Set
1. Sometimes, you need a professional to install the unit.
2. They require more regular maintenance.
3. They are usually more expensive than metal swing sets.
Metal Swing Sets
Before now, metal was the main make of swing sets, but now it has been taken over by wood, especially for swing sets installed in people’s homes. However, metal is still a viral material for making swing sets used in parks, schools, and other public places.
Galvanized steel is the most common metal for making swing sets, and this is because it is rust-resistant. A metal swing set that is well cared for can last for up to 15 years, which makes them a little less durable than their wooden counterpart.
Metal swing sets are relatively light and can carry less weight than wood swing sets. They can also rust when exposed to the element, which impacts their durability.
Why People Love Metal Swing Sets
Many people love metal swing sets because of the following:
1. They don’tdon’t require so much in terms of maintenance.
2. They have a reasonable life span.
3. They are lighter than wood and easier to assemble.
The Not So Good Points About Metal Swing
1. They don’tdon’t look as appealing as wooden swing sets.
2. They are less durable than wooden swing sets.
3. Metal swings can be hot to the touch, especially during the hot summer weather.
4. They also have less weight limit than wooden swing sets.
Vinyl Swing Set
Vinyl Swing To set the record straight, vinyl swing sets are not entirely vinyl. They have a wood frame underneath, which is then covered in vinyl. This make of swing set is becoming increasingly popular, and while they have a life span of fewer than 15 years, they are cheaper than wooden sets and have more aesthetic options than wood or metal, which gives them a little edge.
Why People Love Vinyl Swing Sets
1. They do not require so much maintenance since they do not require staining like wood swing sets.
2. They come in very different colors and visual options.
3. They are slightly less expensive than wood.
4. They offer a lot of safety for users because they do not splinter, chipping, or cracking.
The Not So Good Point About Vinyl Swing Set
1. They have shorter life span than wood and metal swing sets.
3. Some moisture can be trapped in the frame, which will cause the wood underneath the vinyl to rust.
Plastic Swing Sets
Plastic swing sets are easily confused with vinyl swing sets because they look alike. Plastic swing sets are usually smaller than vinyl ones and are made for young children or toddlers. Plastic swing sets can only last for a maximum of 7 years. Some might need to be replaced after five years, and this is because they degrade in the sun and can’t take much weight,
Why People Love Plastic Swing Sets
1. They are smooth to play on and ideal for toddlers.
2. They only need a little maintenance.
3. They are easy to assemble.
The Not So Good Points About Plastic Swing Set
1. They only last for a short time.
2. They break down as they are kept in the sun.
3. They are relatively more expensive when compared with their size.
4. They have a shallow weight range.
Do Kidkraft swing sets last?
Kidkraft swings set are some of the most durable swing set and compares favorably with other brands that produce swing sets. Most Kidkraft swing sets can last as long as 15 to 20 years.
Kidkraft swing sets have a very long life span because they are made of quality lumber, precisely cedar which is rot and insect resistant. These swing sets appropriately care for, from their toddler swing set to their largest deluxe ones.
All their swing set and accessories have 1 to 5 years warranty, even though they are expected to remain in excellent condition far longer than this. The key to keeping your Kidkraft lasting for longer includes the following:
1. Ensuring that the swing set is installed correctly on a flat surface
2. The installation area should not collect standing water during rain as this could make the base of the swing set prone to rot.
3. If possible, all remove plastic pieces of the swing set should be removed during freezing temperatures.
4. You should oil all the metallic moving parts monthly when it is in use.
5. Replace all the coverings for bolts when necessary and check the bolts and sharp wedges twice monthly during usage season to be sure they are in place.
6. Every month, check the swing seats, ropes, cables, and chains for evidence of deterioration and replace those that are badly damaged.
7. All rusted metallic accessories, such as monkey bars, hand supports, brackets, and the like, should be kept from rusting by protecting them from the elements.
8. The ground on which the swing set is placed should be raked periodically to prevent compaction and maintain appropriate depths.
Kidkraft is a force to reckon with in the world of kids kids’ playsets because they make lots of different outdoor and indoor fun playhouses, slides, and swings for kids of different ages. Their products are sturdy, durable, and long-lasting if they are well cared for.
You May Also Like:
- How To Anchor a Metal Swing Set?
- Best Inflatable Pool Cleaner Tool
- How to Hang a Tree Swing on an Angled Branch
- How to Keep Inflatable Pool Water Clean With Salt
- How Do You Repair a Tear In A Bounce House? (5 Easy Steps)
- How to Inflate a Pool With an Air Compressor (4 Easy Steps)
On average, a standard wooden swing set can last as long as 20 years, while metal and plastic ones last for 15 and 7 years, respectively, with proper care.
Thanks for taking the time to read our article, and we hope you find it helpful. Would you mind leaving a comment below if you have any suggestions?
Kindly reach out to people by sharing this post on social media.
If you liked this article, then please follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest.