An above-ground inflatable pool is fun and relaxing, especially in the summertime. However, setting up an inflatable can be a daunting task as there are some rules to follow. All above-ground pool owners ask themselves is, do I need a fence around my inflatable pool?
Yes, in some cases, you need a fence around your inflatable pol. This is to prevent possible drowning and other accidents.
We have covered some of the important rules guiding the ownership of an inflatable pool and all you need to know about fencing the pool.
- 1 Inflatable Pool Barrier Laws
- 2 Do I Need a Fence Around My Inflatable Pool?
- 3 How Deep Can a Pool Be Without a Fence?
- 4 How Tall Does a Fence Have To Be Around a Pool?
- 5 How Much is the Fine For Not Having a Pool Fence?
- 6 Inflatable Pool Barrier and Fencing Tips
- 7 Conclusion
Inflatable Pool Barrier Laws
There are different categories of laws guiding the use of an inflatable pool. You will need to check in with these laws to ensure that you are properly setting up your inflatable pool.
1. Federal Law
Federal laws cover the use of in-ground and above-ground pools in public spaces run by the town. The US consumer product safety commission has established some laws concerning safety fences. This is because some unfortunate events caused by unprotected pools have led to the accidental death of some children.
The federal laws provide a detailed guide on the appropriate size of the fence and how far away it should be from the pool.
2. State Laws
State laws focus mainly on fencing and barriers to pools, and while there are a lot of rules, here are some of the major ones.
- The barrier surrounding a pool should have a minimum height of 48 inches.
- The barrier gate should swing away from the pool and not towards it.
- The bolt-on gate should be less than 54 inches from the bottom of the gate, and it should be more than 3 inches from the top of the gate.
- The space between the fence board should not be greater than 4 inches.
- Barriers should not have indentations or intrusions.
- The maximum size of the chain link mesh fence should be 1¼ square inch.
- There should be an alarm system on all doors leading to the pool area.
Some other laws include county and town laws for residential pools. You should check out these laws from your state before setting up a pool.
Do I Need a Fence Around My Inflatable Pool?
Over the years, more than 5 children have died due to drowning in residential pools. A fence around your inflatable pool or above-ground pool is necessary to prevent such incidents.
Above-ground pools with a height of 48 inches or more can serve as a barrier to the pool. But if steps or ladder are used to get into the pool, then the ladder or steps should be surrounded by a barrier of at least 48 inches. Take note that a removable ladder does not count as a barrier.
According to the National Building Code on Barriers and Fencing of swimming pools, an above-ground pool whose wall serves as a barrier or has a barrier mounted on top, the removable ladder or step which is the means of access should also have a barrier that meets the requirements.
How Deep Can a Pool Be Without a Fence?
Some inflatable pools are shallow and do not need fences, but a pool that is more than 18 inches tall or contains water that occupies 18 inches will need a barrier with a minimum height of 48 inches. A pool less than 18 inches high is fine without a barrier or fence.
Most pools that do not require fences are referred to as kiddies’ pools, and they are suitable for toddlers and children up to five years. Even in the absence of a fence, adult supervision is required to ensure safety.
How Tall Does a Fence Have To Be Around a Pool?
As safety is a priority when dealing with deep pools, you will need a fence with a minimum height of 48 inches (4 feet), and according to the rules above, a latch on the fence should not be less than 54 inches from the bottom of the fence and more than 3 inches from the top of the fence.
You also have to ensure that an alarm system is installed on the door leading to the pool area to prevent people from getting in without permission. You can contact the state laws for more information on the height of fences.
How Much is the Fine For Not Having a Pool Fence?
Just as the rules of having a pool barrier differ in states and cities, so does the fine required for homeowners who do not have a pool barrier. When a fine is required, it may range from $500 to $800, and fines for non-compliance can be as high as $5000.
You can contact your county or local offices to get detailed information on the fine required for not having a pool barrier or fence. It is recommended that you have your pool fenced at the appropriate height to avoid these fines.
Inflatable Pool Barrier and Fencing Tips
You can install an above-ground pool fence or barrier for your inflatable pool if you have the required skill, but if you cannot carry out this task, call a professional. Here are some tips to guarantee safety even when using a pool fence or barrier.
- An adult should always be around to supervise children
- Contact your local or state for the detailed requirement on pool fencing and barriers
- Remove the ladder or steps from a large inflatable pool or an above ground pool
- To prevent trespassing, doors leading to the pools area should have an alarm system
- Use a self-closing gate that swings away from the pool
- Your barrier should have a minimum height of 48 inches or 4 feet.
Owning an inflatable or above-ground pool is important to keep cool during warm weather. Even as these pools are easy to set up, things can get complicated if you do not follow the rules guiding fencing and barriers.
You can check in with your local or county offices to get more information on fencing inflatables and above-ground pools, including the fines if these requirements are not met.
Your pool barrier should be at least 48 inches high, and pools with a depth of fewer than 18 inches do not need a pool fence. You will also need a self-latching gate and an alarm system.
- Best Inflatable Pool Cleaner Tool
- Can You Set Up an Inflatable Pool on Concrete?
- How to Keep Inflatable Pool Water Clean With Salt
- How Long Can You Leave Water in an Inflatable Pool
We trust this article helped you decide if you need a fence around an inflatable pool. You may also want to check out If You Can Put Chlorine in an Inflatable Pool.
Thanks for taking the time to read our article, and we hope you find it helpful. Would you mind leaving a comment below if you have any suggestions?
Kindly reach out to people by sharing this post on social media.