Everyone loves jumping on a trampoline, kids and adults alike because it provides the whole family hours of wholesome fun and fitness. The beauty of trampolines is that they come in varying sizes and shapes to suit all personal preferences.
The size of a trampoline an individual needs will depend on many factors, including age, sex, weight, and the number of people using it at a time. Still, most adult trampolines cannot carry more than 2 to 3 adults per time.
Today we will be looking at all things trampoline, from the size to the shape of trampolines, and some of the things you need to keep in mind while shopping for one.
Shapes Of Trampoline
Below are some of the most common shapes of trampoline available in the market:
1. Round Trampolines
Round trampolines are the least expensive shape, making them the most affordable option for many buyers. The circle is an exceptionally sturdy structural shape, so the frame for the trampoline can be lighter while still being robust enough to hold up.
Round trampolines are the most common style of trampoline you will find and are also the least expensive. They are best for single jumpers because they tend to move to the middle of the trampoline, and if there is more than one person, it might lead to a collision as the trampoline draws them to the middle.
The advantage of the round trampoline is that the kids jumping on it are less likely to jump accidentally off it since they are drawn to the middle.
Six feet is the diameter of the smallest round trampoline you will find around, and they are used mostly by I person at a time. They do not give a high bounce because of their small surface, so many people might find them boring. The 8 feet counterpart gives more pace and bounce, but they are meant for only 1 child to bounce per time.
For 2 jumpers to jump at once, you should go for a 14 to 16-foot range of round of trampoline, which will give them all the space they need to flip a d play some tricks. If you are an adult and one to use this trampoline, you will have to use it alone because it can’t take 2 adults at once.
2. Oval Trampolines
This is similar to the round trampoline, which usually drifts jumpers to the middle. Still, it differs from round trampolines because it gives more jumping area, and their frames are usually made of heavier and thicker steel.
They can accommodate multiple players without them colliding with each other because of their longer surface area. You can also jump a longer distance from one end of the trampoline to the other.
Another advantage of this trampoline shape is that you can get them into smaller spaces that are irregular in shape too. Most oval trampolines come in only 2 sizes which is “medium” ( 10′ x 14′ Oval ) and “large” ( 11′ x 16′)
3. Square Trampoline
The advantage of the square trampoline over the round and oval-shaped type is that they don’t drift jumpers to the center, so jumpers are more likely to jump and land in the exact place they started. They do not take as much food as round trampolines and fit easily into the most backyard.
One major advantage of a square trampoline is that they are easy to assemble, transport and store on the winter days because they don’t take up space. They and rectangular trampolines are the heaviest kinds of the trampoline because their frames are made of more sturdy metal, probably because they carry a lot of weight of jumpers.
4. Rectangular Trampolines
This trampoline shape offers the largest jumping area, which is why they are for competitions and professionally.
It is believed that a rectangular trampoline was the first type of trampoline invented in 1934. Because of their larger surface area, they accommodate more jumpers per unit area than other shapes.
The rectangular trampoline comes in many sizes ranging from those whose area is 7 by 10 feet to those that are up to 10 by 17 feet which are the Olympic size trampoline and is better suited for older kids and adults.
They are also easy to assemble, store and transport, and they are the least portable when fully assembled.
What Size Trampoline Do I Need
Different types of trampolines are suited both for kids and adults, but the size of trampoline you need will depend on many factors from your personal preference, the shape you want, and the amount of space you have to place it.
But one of the main factors determining the size of trampoline you need is the weight limit the given size of a trampoline can carry. Here are some sizes of trampoline to choose from:
1. For toddlers, you should buy a mini trampoline that can comfortably carry a maximum of 100 pounds, and they usually have a diameter of 30 to 39 inches for the round mini trampoline. This trampoline can carry 3 to 4 toddlers, and so if you want kids older than 3 to use them, then you will let just 2 kids play on it at a time
2. If you want a trampoline for kids 3 to 10 years old, then you will have to go for a small trampoline that is 8 to 10 feet, weighing 75 to 150 pounds. This trampoline can carry 2 to 3 7 years old.
3. There are 12-ft trampolines meant for kids in the middle childhood stage of 9 to 12 years of age. If their average weight is 70 pounds, then this trampoline can withstand the weight of 4 kids because its maximum weight limit is 300 pounds.
4. For teenagers, your best bet is to get a 14-ft trampoline because it has a maximum weight limit of 350 pounds, which means it can hold 3 jumping teenagers at once.
5. There are also 15 to 16-ft trampolines whose maximum weight limit is 450 pounds. Adults can use this unit, but not more than 2 at any given time.
6. Trampoline for adults, also known as adult rebounders, has a capacity of 600 pounds. It is the best-suited trampoline for adults because they are made to bear heavier weight than other trampoline types.
Consider This Before Buying A Trampoline?
There are a few things to consider when choosing the right size of a trampoline:
1. Number Of Users
The number of people jumping on the trampoline at a time will determine the size of the trampoline you buy; the more people, the bigger the size.
2. The weight Limit
There is a load limit that any given size of a trampoline can carry that is within its safety limits, and this is perhaps more important a consideration than the number of jumpers because the load limit is a better decider of how many jumpers a trampoline can carry.
3. The shape
We can see that the shape of a trampoline determines not only the number of people that can bounce at once on them and how they can fit into a given area.
If you have a smaller space and want more than 1 jumper on your trampoline, then your best bet is to go for a rectangular trampoline with more surface area and carry more jumpers. They can also fit better into irregular-shaped areas.
4. The length of the wall
Trampolines with higher walls are good for tall and even heavier jumpers; they also provide increased safety because there is less likelihood of falling to the ground.
5. The Surface of The Trampoline
Trampoline surfaces can be made of polypropylene, mesh netting, or vinyl. Polypropylene is the safest material for trampoline surfaces because the fibers are heavily woven to make a buoyantly webbed fabric.
6. The Price
The quality, number of features, and size are the main determinant of a trampoline’s price, so before you part with your hard-earned cash, be sure that you are getting real value for money.
Best Surfaces For Putting Your Trampoline
Your trampoline can go on any surface, from the grass and soil in your backyard to concrete floors, but the best surface is grass, and the second-best is soil.
This is done because grass can better absorb the forces from the trampoline’s frame, which means that another structural component is not put through undue stress or strain.
The surface you put the trampoline on must be level and not bumpy because you want the stability of the trampoline more than anything since it spells safety for the users. If the trampoline is not on level ground, the jumpers can be launched down a hill as they jump.
You must ensure that the area around and under the trampoline is clear and free from anything that can hurt anyone as they bounce up and down the trampoline. If placing the trampoline, you must ensure that you have at least 12 feet of vertical clearance for safety reasons.
Many Benefits of Jumping on a Trampoline
Bouncing on a trampoline might look like a fun thing that people do to enjoy themselves, but the reality is that jumping on a trampoline is a serious workout that is disguised as fun.
But before we go further, we must state that many kids have sustained many injuries due to bouncing unsupervised, in which case they tried some stunts and acrobatic moves that got them in trouble.
But this doesn’t mean that jumping on a trampoline is risky fun; the only thing is that no kid should be allowed to bounce on the trampoline without adult supervision.
With that out of the way, we will state that safe and secure trampolines are very beneficial to your health and those of your kids.
Rebounders, for instance, are the safest trampoline because they are very stable and low to the ground, making them the best fit for workouts. Here are some benefits of bouncing on a trampoline:
1. Jumping on a full-time body out impacts the whole body, and one of its benefits is that it builds strength for jumpers because as they jump, all the muscles of their bodies are exercised, making them gain more strength.
2. when people get older, their bones become a little more fragile, but when you jump on a trampoline, their bone density improves; this is especially beneficial for older people because the more you jump, the denser your bones get and the less chances of developing osteoporosis.
3. If you want to improve your body balance, make bouncing on a trampoline your routine because it helps improve balance. This means that the chances of walking and then tripping and falling will be greatly reduced.
4. Jumping on the trampoline is good for the heart because it strengthens the heart muscles and reduces the strain the heart goes through in pumping blood.
5. In our fast-paced world where the stress level many people go through in their everyday life is alarming, jumping on a trampoline-like other exercise is good for relieving stress because it releases a natural substance called endorphins which generally makes one have a sense of well being and positive energy.
Even though many people see the trampoline as a toy that kids play on, the truth is that both kids and adults can have a good time jumping on the right trampoline.
If you are wondering what size of trampoline you need to buy for yourself and your family, we will say that the real question is, “how many people will be using the trampoline at any given time and what is their cumulative weight.” This is one of the main determinants of what kind of trampoline will suit your needs.
- Weight Limit On A Trampoline
- Is a Sunken Trampoline Safer?
- Is a 12ft Trampoline Big Enough?
- Best Inflatable Pool Cleaner Tool
We trust this article helped you find out the proper size of trampoline you need. You may also want to check out The 12 Ft vs 15 Ft Trampoline Comparison.
Thanks for taking the time to read our article, and we hope you find it helpful. Would you mind leaving a comment below if you have any suggestions?
Kindly reach out to people by sharing this post on social media.