The patio is an essential outdoor space where people spend a reasonable amount of time relaxing. After the hustle and bustle of our increasingly busy lives, we want to unwind in our home under the evening sky. With the right floor on our patio, we can make our patio more inviting and relaxing.
The patio floor can be made of different materials, including poured concrete, brick paver, concrete pavers, etc. There are non of them that don’t have their advantages.
Today we look at different patio floors; from there, you can choose which is best for you.
Different Patio For An Outdoor Patio
Here are the different materials that patios are made of
It is one standard and affordable flooring option for your patio. The concrete patio floor is laid out in long slabs poured and cured on-site. You can give the concrete patio a unique look by adding patterns to the poured concrete before it cures – this is called stamped concrete.
Why People Love Poured Concrete Patio Floor
1. They are durable and can last for a long time.
2. They are a cost-effective option which is still appealing.
3. Poured concrete is resistant to water, fire, and corrosion.
4. They are easy to clean and require little maintenance.
5. Poured concrete especially stamped concrete, can take different designs to suit an individual’s preference.
6. They are environmentally friendly in the sense that they do not contain VOCs
7. They also slip and stain-resistant.
Demerits Of Poured Concrete
1. Poured concrete surfaces are complex and can be a little uncomfortable.
2. They are more challenging to repair if they develop cracks.
3. They are noisy and cold to walk on.
4. They are prone to mould and mildew if not cured and sealed correctly.
Concrete pavers are becoming a trendy flooring option today, and that is because they are modern in design and very durable. Concrete pavers are pre-made, and so are easy to install. They come in different styles and design to suit an individual’s preference and are easier to fix when it gets damaged.
Why People Love Concrete Pavers
1. They come in different sizes and styles.
2. Concrete pavers are easy to install and are resistant to stain and slip.
3. Damaged concrete pavers can easily be replaced.
4. They are very durable, even note they poured concrete.
5. They do not need to care, and they also do not contain VOCs.
6. They are slip and stain-resistant. They are also resistant to water, fire, and corrosion.
Demerits Of Concrete Pavers
1. Before you fix concrete pavers, you must make a base for them which means more expenses and labour.
2. You will need to keep extra pavers for repair purposes.
3. They are prone to cracking from the roots.
4. Concrete pavers are prone to be filled with weeds.
5. They can become uneven over time.
If you are one of those people who are drawn to traditional or rustic beauty, then brick pavers are a great choice for your patio floor. This flooring material is best used to compliment a brick fireplace or any other brick structure, like a pizza oven.
Why People Love Brick Pavers
1. They are very durable and yet cost-effective.
2. They are slip resistant.
3. Brick pavers are environmentally friendly, and they require low maintenance.
4. They also retain heat well.
Demerits Of Brick Pavers
1. Brick pavers come in minimal designs.
2. They are challenging to replace or even repair.
3. Brick paver surfaces are complex and can be uncomfortable.
4. They retain water which can lead to mould or mildew growth.
5. They can become uneven over time due to wear and tear.
Porcelain flooring, made from clay fired at over 1200º F, making it exceptionally durable, is a modern floor becoming a household name. This high-end flooring alternative is not heavy compared to concrete or brick, but it is difficult to cut without professional equipment.
Why People Love Porcelain Floor
1. They are weather, stain, mould, and water-resistant
2. They are not slippery and are low maintenance.
3. They are easy to clean and are also durable.
4. They come in different styles and colours.
5. Porcelain is a lot lighter than concrete and stone.
Demerits Of Porcelain Floor
1. They are an expensive flooring option.
2. It can only be properly installed by a professional.
3. Even though they are lighter than stone, they are heavier than other ceramic outdoor floorings.
4. Porcelain requires special equipment to cut.
It is a cheaper alternative to porcelain floors, and that is because they are made of less refined material. Ceramic flooring is not dense and can easily be cut, but as you would expect, they are less durable than you would want.
Why People Love Ceramic Tile Floor
1. They are less expensive than most flooring options.
2. They come in varieties of colours and styles.
3. They are easy to cut and fix, which makes them a floor of choice for DIYers.
4. They are relatively durable.
Demerits Of Ceramic Floor
1. They are not weather-resistant.
2. They are prone to cracking.
3. Porous, prone to water damage and mould.
Composite Wood Decking
Composite deck outdoor flooring is a low-maintenance, easy-to-clean, eco-friendly, and weather-resistant alternative. This floor type which is easy to install is also quite durable even though people discount its value a lot because it is not pure wood
Why You Will Love Composite Wood Decking Floor
1. They are very durable
3. It only requires a little in terms of maintenance.
4. They don’t splinter like natural wood
4. They are easy to install and weather, stain, mould, and water-resistant.
Demerits Of Composite Wood Decking Floor
1. Because it is not natural wood, people do not value it.
2. They are more expensive than natural wood.
Traditional Wood Decking
Different wood can be used as flooring for your patio, and they are all relatively cheaper than most other options. For instance, if you are on a budget, you can go for pine wood which is the least expensive. Cedar is a lot more expensive, durable and popular as patio flooring.
Why You Will Love Traditional Wood Deck.
1. They are easy to install
2. There are varieties of wood to choose from.
3. They have a rustic appeal that some people find irresistible.
4. They are pretty affordable.
Demerits Of Traditional Wood Decking
1. They Require consistent cleaning, polishing, and staining maintenance.
2. They are not weather-resistant.
3. They need to be pressure treated.
4. They are less durable than most other options.
It is not a very popular outdoor patio flooring option. The reality is that artificial grass has a lot of advantages which many people need to realize. Artificial grass is quick and easy to install and does not require much maintenance.
Why People Love Artificial Grass
1. They are durable.
2. They are low-maintenance flooring options.
3. They are relatively inexpensive.
4. They are easy to install and replace.
5. Artificial grass has a bright green colour.
Demerits Of Artificial Grass
1. It doesn’t have that natural grass look
2. Artificial grass is not as long-lasting as natural grass.
3. You can’t grow plants or trees on the turf.
It is not the first option for many people because it’s a little more pricey. Rubber flooring is durable, has many design options, and is quick to install.
Why People Love Rubber Tiles Flooring
1. Rubber tiles are easy to install, and they are durable.
2. They come in many colour and style options.
3. They are slip, water and heat resistant.
4. When they are damaged, they are ready to be replaced.
5. They require low maintenance.
Demerits Rubber Tiles Cons
1. They are pricey.
2. They don’t have a natural look.
These patio tiles, made of synthetic materials, are durable and very easy to install. Vinyl tiles are also easy to clean and are water-resistant.
Why People Love Vinyl Tiles
1. They are stain and scratch-resistant.
2. They are durable and easy to clean.
3. They look like natural hardwood.
4. Vinyl Tiles are both water and weather-resistant.
Demerits Of Vinyl Tiles Flooring
1. They must be installed in enclosed or covered outdoor patios.
2. They could be better in high-traffic areas because they can’t support heavy weight.
3. They are environmentally friendly because they contain VOCs.
Laminate Outdoor Flooring
it is one of the most accessible types of patio flooring to install. Laminate outdoor flooring is installed over an underlayment, just a foam pad or flooring. They are durable composite flooring made of material of three layers: a top plastic layer, an image layer and a bottom, durable wood composite layer.
Why People Love Laminate Outdoor Flooring
1. They are scratch and slip-resistant.
2. They are easy to install.
3. They are inexpensive and easy to clean.
Demerits Of Laminate Outdoor Flooring
1. They contain VOCs.
2. They are not very water-resistant.
3. Laminate outdoor flooring Chips easily, and they require a stable subfloor.
What Is The Best Flooring For An Outdoor Patio
Now that we have seen the different flooring for an outdoor patio, you can see that each has pros and cons, and they all come in different colours and sizes to suit individual preferences.
So if we are to answer the best flooring for an outdoor patio, we will say: Go for one that is best for your space, your taste and your budget.
The floor of your patio can give that outdoor space a beautifully unique look that speaks of taste and class.
- Patio Floods When it Rains
- Can you Put an Outdoor Rug on Grass
- What to do with Fire Pit Ashes
- What to do with Dirt Backyard
- Can you Put a Fire Pit on Grass
One can make the patio more beautiful and inviting with a wide variety of different flooring materials, porcelain tiles, brick pavers, ceramic tiles and the like.
Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest for more updates.