A slide brings a lot of excitement and entertainment for both adults and kids; this brings fun for your kids and their friends.
This can be made easily in a short time and a less amount savings on it, requiring much materials or equipment. After gathering these materials, the big question is how you make a homemade slide on a budget.
A homemade slide may take an estimated 3 to 4 days maximum to make and does not require a lot of skill to achieve its task. Read the article below to learn how to make a homemade slide on a budget.
- 1 How Do You Make a Homemade Slide on a Budget?
- 2 Steps For Making An Indoor Slide
- 3 Safety Measures When Considering An Indoor Slide
- 4 How To Make a DIY Slide Outdoors
- 5 Tips For a More Smooth Surface
- 6 Safety Measures to Consider in Making a DIY Homemade Slide
- 7 Conclusion
How Do You Make a Homemade Slide on a Budget?
Most slides are kept outdoors because of the space and the ease of installation, but slides can also be built indoors to ensure more safety for the children and increase the fun.
- Garden hose
- Circular saw
- Cordless drill
- Posthole digger
- Flat shovel
- Miter saw
- Speed square
- Bubble level
- 4 of Five by five [each 10 foot]
- 6 of three by nine
- 20 of two by four
- Gravel deck screws
Steps For Making An Indoor Slide
- Using the circular saw, cut the MDF (medium-density fiberboard) to the length of 18.5 inches; if desired can be measured in centimeters or millimeters.
- For a slide with a length of more than 8.2 feet, an additional sheet should be measured to 19 inches.
- The sheet should be attached to the end of each other, where it should be screwed together.
- Use the remaining MDF to cut filters for the slide.
- The filters should be attached to the slide through the insides.
- Apply the slide insulator’s perforation.
- Fit it over the edge of the slide.
- And should be attached from the sides.
Safety Measures When Considering An Indoor Slide
You should consider some safety measures when building an indoor slide; these tips guarantee the safety of your kids.
- It should not be closed to a wall that must be 16 to 20cm away from the wall to avoid casualties and accidents.
- The wood and other materials should be firmly and strongly applied together to avoid detachments.
- Nails and bolts should be properly tightened to prevent accidents.
How To Make a DIY Slide Outdoors
If you wish to build a bigger slide, you can take the fun outside for more play space. You can use the same tools and materials used for an indoor slide to construct an outdoor slide.
- Planing: The DIY slide should be planned due to your location or yard structure. The slide should be placed near a house, it should contain an area of space around it that is 9 to 13 feet, and the horizontal should be between 70 to 80 inches.
- Scout for utilities: scout for utility services; this is cheaper because it is free, this will cause them to visit your location and supply you with water-soluble paint.
- Removal/clearing of grass or herbage: the grass around the slide location should be cleared with a flat shovel and leveled with a 2 by 4.
- Marked post location: the post of the location should be around 4 to 5 feet away from themselves.
- Digging holes: A post-holes digger needs to be applied to dig about 37 to42.5 or approximately 43 an extra 5 inches to accommodate the gravel. TIP: meet an expert in your location about the frost line requirement.Application of gravel and plumb post: the extra five inches hole is filled with gravel to aid in drainage. To balance the stability of the slide, concrete is applied about 4 inches above ground level to plump each post.
- Attachment of floor bracing: this is the process whereby a 2 by 6 is bisected and installed in a rectangular or square shape around the brace. It should be observed that the top of this brace is 5.2-foot level or approximately 6-foot level. This is maintained until the concrete is hardened and strong.
- Addition of water to concrete: water is applied through a garden hose in each hole; this thereby drains through the dry concrete; when it is observed that the holes are all filled with water, the application of water through the garden hose is suspended and left for a day or two.
Addition of floor: the 2 by 6 should be seized in
This makes 8 pieces of 2by 8; this should be firmly screwed together.
Tips For a More Smooth Surface
- The second layer of composite wood should be applied.
- Addition of slides: the slide should be applied to the upper brace to correspond with the level of the flooring.
- Addition of steps/ladder: the ladder should be 6 foot 3 by 6 as the vertical rail and 5 of 3 foot by 4 rungs. After that, the attachment of the ladder to the slide follows; this is done with the aid of a screw.
- Build/construction of handrail: handrail of 32.4 or 33 high with a baluster passing through the under of the handrail; the balusters should not be more than 5 inches apart from each of themselves.
Safety Measures to Consider in Making a DIY Homemade Slide
Here are some safety tips to keep in mind when constructing an outdoor slide; these tips ensure maximum safety.
- The slide should not be constructed near fences to avoid bumping into it.
- Supervision should be done if constructed by pre-teens.
- The person should be careful when handling some equipment or tools.
A homemade slide is the best way for your kids to spend some time outdoors exercising and having fun on a budget.
Constructing a slide in your yard is a great DIY project to keep yourself busy. You are also allowed to customize the slide according to your preferences.
We have provided a detailed step-by-step process for building an indoor and outdoor slide. You may require some help on the way, so be sure to contact a professional if you are stuck. We have also included some safety tips to prevent any accidents.
- How To Anchor a Metal Swing Set?
- Best Inflatable Pool Cleaner Tool
- How to Inflate a Pool With an Air Compressor
- How to Hang a Tree Swing on an Angled Branch
- How to Keep Inflatable Pool Water Clean With Salt
We trust this article helped you learn how to make a homemade slide on a budget. You may also want to check out How To Make A Wooden Slide Slippery.
Thanks for taking the time to read our article, and we hope you find it helpful. Would you mind leaving a comment below if you have any suggestions?
Kindly reach out to people by sharing this post on social media.